Friday, May 31, 2013

Stave Church and Norwegian Woodenware

Over the weekend my family and I vacationed as we always do in the Black Hills. My wife was looking for things for us to do that we hadn't done before when she ran across an advertisement for a replica Stave church in Rapid City. I was a bit skeptical at first thinking that this must be some kind of tourist trap. Boy was I wrong! It is a full-scale model of the Borgund stave church built around 1150 in Norway. It is simply a wonderfully built reproduction. It was finished in 1969, but you would think it was only a few years old by looking at it. Besides the stave church, there is a small museum located in an original log cabin showcasing some outstanding antique Norwegian made woodenware and furniture.  


Check out the link and go see it you won’t be disappointed. http://www.chapel-in-the-hills.org








2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Fascinating!

Lady Locust said...

It looks as though I could walk right in, put the kettle on the fire and be perfectly at home.
Thanks for sharing.
JoeyLea
http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/