Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Forge Cart Made With Pipe Fittings

I recently purchased a gas forge and needed a cart to place it on. I couldn’t find anything locally or online that I liked so I decided to build the cart myself. Since I didn’t want to place the forge on a wooden stand I needed to come up with a way of making a stand out of metal that didn’t require welding. The easiest although not necessarily economical method was to build the cart out of ¾ inch pipe fittings.


The build was pretty straightforward and with the exception of drilling the holes through the 1/8th inch top was easy and only took about an hour. The nice thing about using pipe fittings is that it’s easy to level the cart legs by simply screwing the pipe with the wheels on it in or out.


Some people will probably wonder why I purchased a gas forge since I already have a coal forge. I will continue to use both. I got into to blacksmithing to make hardware for the tools and furniture I make. I have found that if I only need a few items like a bolt or nails the coal forge can be a pain because it takes a while to build up a good fire and short projects tend to waste coal (the nearest place I have to buy coal is about 2 hours away). With a gas forge, all I have to do is turn a valve and I have fire. The gas forge also uses propane which I can buy in my town.  


6 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for posting this. I linked it on Facebook so a friend of mine would see it.

Frontier Carpenter said...

Tank you

Jonas Jensen said...

Great idea.
I find it a wise thing to use the gas forge for small projects instead of wasting the coal.
Especially since you have to drive so far to get it.
Brgds
Jonas

Frontier Carpenter said...

Thanks Jonas

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Post. I want to eventually go for a gas forge to fabricate molding plane blades, carving chisels, and for knife making. I'll be interested to see how well you like it.

Blessings,
Jim

Frontier Carpenter said...

I like the gas for forge for heat treating but I like my coal forge better for forging. The coal forge allows me to heat specific areas easier and get a lot hotter. They both have there uses.