Tuesday, July 7, 2009

18th Century Style Fore Plane



Just got done making a fore plane. I've never worked with beech before all my other planes have been yellow birch. Beech is a great to work with and I think easier than yellow birch.

The plane has a two inch cambered blade. I'm not real happy with the hardening job I did. I think that using torches on a blade this big is not enough heat. I will re-harden it in my forge and use a bigger oil bath for quenching.

The handle on on the plane is maple and the strike button is yellow birch. I copied the style of the plane from an existing antique. Even with the blade temper a bit off the plane works wonderful. Next I will make a small coffin plane and then a panel raising plane. All that will have to wait though as I need to paint the house:(

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Frontier Carpenter!

Enjoyed meeting you in the Country Workshop's class last week and really enjoyed seeing the tools you've made. You're a very talented guy working on some interesting projects and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Kansas Scout said...

I just found your blog. I see your not actively posting and I hope you change that soon. Please keep up the good work and post more. Oh yes. Enable followers when you do.

Joseph P. said...

It's really great and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful idea with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.


Kitchen Benchtops