Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Traveling Blacksmith Forge

Last month I finally finished my traveling forge. I wanted something that I could completely take apart for easy transport, so after looking at a lot of photos on the internet, this is what I came up with. I’ve used it for at a couple of living history events and it has met all of my expectations. The only real negative I found is that the bellows is HEAVY. But what the hell, it puts out a good flow of air with little effort.

The hardest part of the whole project was making the bellows. I used 1-inch thick pine for the body and followed the directions in the attached pamphlet. For the covering, I choose heavy waterproofed canvas over leather to save money. Not really thinking it through, I purchased a very reasonably priced canvas tarp that was made in India. As it turned out, the material makes a great fire starter which is not really a desirable trait for something that will spend its life around fire. As long as I am careful, it should be fine.   

I purchased the fire box from Fiery Furnace Forge on eBay, and I have been very happy with it.






2 comments:

Jonas Jensen said...

That is one impressive set of bellows!

The forge is looking great.
Brgds
Jonas

Frontier Carpenter said...

Thank you!